Heritage Towpath Trail
Points of Interest
Huddlesford
Page 1
Huddlesford
Page 1
7.81 Mls.
12.57 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
0.83 Mls.
1.33 Km.
Ogley Junction
On canal line
This junction on the Wryley and Essington Canal from Catshill Junction is the point where the Anglesey Feeder was constructed in 1799 from Norton Bog (now called Chasewater Reservoir) subsequently made navigable as the Anglsey Branch in 1862.
7.7 Mls.
11.70 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
1.37 Mls.
2.20 Km.
Ogley Junction
Iron Footbridge
On canal line
This Traditional Iron Footbridge was cast by the Horseley Iron Works and is dated 1829. This was installed in this location in approx 1862. When the Anglesey Branch was made navigable to provide a canal link to the colliery wharfs along this navigation.
7.27 Mls.
11.70 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
1.37 Mls.
2.20 Km.
Ogley Basin
On canal line
Ogley Basin provided a transshipment point at the summit level of the canal network and was used to load sand brought by a horse drawn plate way up the hill from nearby sandpits.
7.27 Mls.
11.70 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
1.37 Mls.
2.20 Km.
Old Smithy (Site Of)
The Smithy located on the south end of the Ogley Footbridge and would have housed a blacksmith to maintain the canal and the horses used to pull boats and on the tramways.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
Ogley Cottages
BCN 272 & 271
On canal line
The first of these cottages by Lock No1 was built in 1810, the second being attached for the lock keepers family. These properties were given BCN numbers when the BCN aquired the W&E Canal Company in 1840 and upgraded the full length of the canal.
Private property - no access
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
These two Cottage numbers are the last two numbers in the BCN Property Register.
Locks 1 to 5
Ogley First Flight
On canal line
The ground slopes some 40feet in this area and requires a flight of locks to move boats up and down. These locks are largely intack but they are mostly infilled with soil and therefore restoration should be feasible.
Private property - no access
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
By Lock 4 is the site of BCN 270 cottage. Lock 5 is visible and above ground to the west and beside Barracks Lane.
Catshill Junction marks the start of the Wyrley & Essington Canal to Lichfield.
The Wyrley and Essington Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1792 for the transportation of coal from Wyrley and Essington to the north of Bloxwich into the urban centre of Wolverhampton.
A second act in 1794 authorised an extension to Huddlesford Junction east of Lichfield.
8.64 Mls.
13.90 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
0.00 Mls.
0.00 Km.
Shire Oak public House is only a short walk south along Chester Road
Chester Road Bridge
On canal line
Chester Road is a very ancient road and thought to pre- date the Romans. During construction of the Canal signs of Iron Age activity were found of the ancient settlement of Catshill.
8.49 Mls.
13.67 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
0.14 Mls.
0.23 Km.
Nearby - The Anchor Public House is on Chester Road by the canal.
Sandhills Canal (Branch)
South of canal
This disused branch canal is now infilled and in private ownership.
Private property - no access
8.28 Mls.
13.32 Km.
From Huddlesford:
From Catshill:
0.36 Mls.
0.58 Km.
Ogley Hay Flour Mill
On canal line
Ogley Hay Steam flour Mill (aka Brownhills Flour Mill) thought to date from the 1840's and was equiped with 4 pairs of french grinding wheels driven by a 35HP steam engine with a Cornish boiler and used to employ 4 millers.
The superstructure was rebuilt and converted to flats now in private ownership.
Catshill Junction
On canal line