www.lhcrt.org.uk

Huddlesford Junction

Photo: Looking south-west along the Lichfield Canal from Huddlesford Junction, in water as far as Cappers Lane Bridge. Moorings used by Lichfield Cruising Club members.

Huddlesford Junction

Junction on the Coventry Canal at the bottom end of the Lichfield Canal (formerly the Wyrley & Essington Canal).  The Stop at Huddlesford marked the end of the Wyrley and Essington canal and its junction with the Coventry Canal. What was The Stop?There does not seem to be a lock so possibly it was a gate marking the point at which a toll must be paid.

The Wyley and Essington extension from Ogley Hay to Huddlesford was built and completed by the Wyrley and Essington Canal Company in 1797.  Two cottages housing the Toll Collectors were built to ensure the companies got their payment.

The Coventry Canal was built by the Coventry Canal Company, formed in 1768 and started work on the Canal from Coventry to Atherstone before running out of money in 1769.  It was extended down to Fazeley but the link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1789 and was built by the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal Company.

Bob Houghton's Whittington Trades History lists the Toll Collectors from 1841 up to 1911.

Photo: Looking south-west along the Lichfield Canal in 1954
(Arthur Watts Collection)

Photo: Huddlesford Junction in 1954 (Arthur Watts Collection)

Photo: Huddlesford Junction in 2009

Photo: Looking north from the footbridge during the 2009 Huddlesford Heritage Gathering.

Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: -
Catshill: -

GPS

52.68339, -1.77706

Nearby

The canalside Plough Inn for food and a drink is just a few metres north of Huddlesford Junction on the Coventry Canal.

Google Earth

Copyright (c) Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust