A great restoration effort by the Trust volunteers at Gallows Wharf on the Lichfield Canal over the last week. The infilled canal has been excavated down to “water level” to provide a working platform for the re building of a section of the Historic Gallows Wharf.
King post steel H Piles have been installed at the back of the wharf which with timber sleepers to be installed later will retain a new Garden of Reflection to be installed and planted up by the Trust.
Since the old canal wharf and wall has been lost and buried under the adjacent garages as housing , a new section of wharf wall is being built along the edge of the canal and the excavation for the wharf wall footings have been completed over the weekend. Surplus excavated material from Gallows Wharf is being transported to Fosseway Heath to provide the necessary fill under the canal for the wide turning area.
Much has been achieved over the last few day, but we have much interesting work to do at the high profile Gallows Wharf section and the Trust needs the help of volunteers both old and new to complete these works for the community.
Photos by Peter, Steve Webster and Tony C.
Gallows Wharf is the area just behind the Shell Garage on the corner of Tamworth Road and London Road. On the 1884 Ordnance Survey Map, the area is called Gallows Wharf, but by the 1920s it was known as St John’s Wharf. The wharf is close to the site of the Lichfield Gallows originally erected in 1532 where the last people were hung on 1st June 1810. Three men had been charged with passing on forged coins and banknotes, known as the act of 'uttering', receiving their punishment. Find out more: http://www.lhcrt.org.uk/ltrail/heritagepage_55.html
Island House, Moor Road
Registered in England - No. 2456172
Registered Charity No. 702429
VAT registration No. 823 8213 41