Lichfield Canal, Ogley Flight – Lock Cottage Nos. 271 and 272
Ogley Junction had commanded the summit of the Lichfield Canal since 1797 until its closure to boat traffic about 60 years ago. By Lock 1, there are two historic lock keeper’s cottages, Nos. 271 and 272, these being the last two in the Birmingham Navigations Company property register radiating out of Birmingham.
When No. 272 came up for sale in 2006, the late Sir John Smith, who was one of the earliest members of the Inland Waterways Association and an avid supporter of the waterways, thought it was not right for his Landmark Trust, but agreed to donate it to L&H Trust through his Manifold Trust. As the lock spans both properties, the Trust has long-awaited for the chance to take full possession of the canal land with No. 271 which came back on the market during 2017.
By then, it happens that our late Chairman, Brian Kingshott who died in January 2016, had left a substantial legacy to benefit the Trust in the best way in his memory. This was too good an opportunity to miss that may not come again for a very long time. That dream has now become a reality with the Trust owning both properties where rent income will support their upkeep for the time being until canal work can take place.
However, the Directors are long accustomed to “spending the same money twice”, in this case revising the existing mortgage loan in support of the Tunnel Vision Fund. Like the proverbial buses, nothing for ages then two come at once!
Bob Williams Director (Finance)
Island House, Moor Road
Registered in England - No. 2456172
Registered Charity No. 702429
VAT registration No. 823 8213 41