Lichfield Canal Heritage Towpath Trail
Points of Interest
© 2016 Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust
Freeford House is thought to be the site of a leper hospital dating back to 13th century. In 1917 some 80 human skeletons were discovered near to the site during excavations for a road widening.
Private property - no access
Distance from Catshill
Distance from Huddlesford
Some existing masonry on the site is thought to be part of the hospital chapel's foundations and part of the present house bears the name "Chapel Yard".
See ‘Bones of Lepers at Freeford’ on Lichfield Lore
North of canal
Photo: Freeford House is on the left of this row