Lichfield Canal Heritage Towpath Trail


Heritage Trail Home Page

Points of Interest

© 2016 Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust

Key Lichfield Wharf for the transhipment of coal from the canal system into Lichfield. This was also the site of the old White Lion wharf side public house which finally closed in 1954

Access


Distance from Catshill

Distance from Huddlesford

St Johns Wharf and Basin (site of)


Relative Position

Restoration phase


Photo: Site of St. Johns Wharf


View Lichfield Canal Points of Interest in a larger map
Previous (left) Next (right)

Catshill

Index

Huddlesford

Trail Map 6

Drawing of St. Johns Wharf by Duncan A. Moore

From British History Online - Lichfield Economic History:

“There was a bonehouse evidently on the north side of the Wyrley and Essington Canal west of Chesterfield Road by 1806. The miller, Thomas Wood, was ordered that year to stop production following a complaint by the vicar of St. Mary's that the works was 'a noisome and offensive building and a great nuisance to the inhabitants of the city'. He was still in business in 1818 and the bonehouse remained there in 1836.  In 1847 a bonehouse south of the canal on the west side of Birmingham Road was run by Richard and James Brawn. Between 1857 and 1872 James Meacham ran Trunkfield mill as a bonemill.”

“Charles Bailey, who sold agricultural implements in St. John Street by 1868, made tools in a works at St. John's wharf on the Wyrley and Essington Canal by 1872 and was still in business in the mid 1890s.  By 1899 Perkins & Sons had a works making agricultural implements in Frog Lane, presumably on the site of the former nail and bolt works; it was still in operation in 1912.”

“In 1818 John and Richard Brawn were in business as limemasters with works on the north side of the Wyrley and Essington Canal where it met Birmingham Road. They were recorded as coal, lime, and timber merchants in 1834. Richard and James Brawn ran the business in 1847, and John Brawn worked as a lime burner there in 1872.  Two coal merchants ran businesses in 1818 from a wharf where the canal met Upper St. John Street. One of them, Thomas Robinson, still traded there in 1851.”